Translate

03 April 2011

Drawing People whom (..........................)


Drawing People whom I dislike, or,.......for known or unknown reasons, is the most difficult thing for me to do. For this, I mean people I know, but I just dislike them. They are not strangers to me.

I believe this is quite normal and natural because some people "click" with others, while some just cannot "click" no matter what they do. Others call this "chemistry" among people.
To draw people's faces, I need to first study the subject face in details, staring at it to see how the 5 elements (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, head) form the unique face. Then, I create a mental picture on how the final caricature would look like. And then I start slowly to draw it.
For people that I dislike, I find this first-step is my stopping point because I am not motivated to draw faces that I dislike. I never want to remember such faces. Let alone, study them in details,.....and draw them.  

Drawing People whom are public figure,
is what most caricaturists would start with, to get recognised and be popular or known if you are really good. Politicians, celebrities, movie stars, sportsmen,.....One can easily obtain their photos, pictures from newspaper, magazines, internet, and so on for practices. I do not draw them much.  

This was one of my earliest work > 20 years ago which I copied it from a newspaper. I saw it as an work with a different drawing style, using the hatching-lines technique to create texture and shadow of the face. I did not remember who the artist was, but felt that it's good to keep for reference.   
At that time, digital camera, & scanner were not invented yet, and getting it photocopied is a hassle, so I usually copied drawings by drawing them, or just keep the original version.


This is my recent work of a quick sketch of the current black president, done in 10 minutes in pencil. I realized that I drew his face too wide and too white. In real person, he is quite slim and black. My shading was inadequate to give a darker look.

This indian chief has passed on many years ago, but many people still remembers him for his political works, hardships, white robe, and walking stick. This was one of the quick sketch done in 10 minutes in pencil. 


 Stephanie Sun is a well-know singer in singapore and taiwan, china.
But I never buy her music CDs, and I do not know why,.....her music is of a different cup of tea to me. This drawing was done in ink with color-pencil.


Nicole Kidman is quite a versatile actress, and despite acting in many movies, I  just cannot remember any blockbusters she acted. Or is my memory fading away ?.....I don't know.  The most challenging part of this drawing is her hair which took up lots of my time.

Cindy Crawford did not act much in movies.
My opinion : drawing women is the most challenging job, as they expect you to draw them in perfect shape and style without any flaws. I just smile to their comments, but in my heart, I know : how can this be in the real world ?
  





 
 
 
He remains as one of the legendary kung-fu master still known today in the movie industry, despite the fact that he has passed on at a young age in 1970s. He was one of the rich and famous people who often die young, but many artists still like to draw him. 


His famous movies I could remember were : Face-Off, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, The General's Daughter,...........but he never acted as superman. So, I put him in the suit. In my opinion : Caricature is about putting different things together to create some humor, something that one can never imagine.  

I drew Andy Lau back in 1995. It was not really a caricature, but a portrait based on a photo. At that time, i did not pick up caricature. I drew him again in 2010, and you can notice how he has changed since. How time flies.


Action-movie star with a big nose, and always have beautiful women in all his movies. A portrait, rather than a caricature.


During the 1980s, there were :4 Havenly-Kings" of pops songs and actors from hong Kong. I wanted to draw them at the start of a race, but I never finish the drawing. This is a lack of discipline,..........ya, what the heck,.......
Lesson to learn : Never start something that you cannot complete it. Same applies to anything in life.  


He became famous for his portray of a cyborb in the terminator movies in 1980s, 1990s, then became the governor of california, USA.  

Drawing People Whom are Strangers
is the most fun, because I do not know them in person.
I look at them as shapes, forms, sizes, colors, and care less about their personality, character, behaviour, and so on,........
Only short-coming is I cannot draw with speed, yet. I would need to practise a lot to get to speed, & in real drawing sessions. 
Here are just some of my works which are not very good. I still need lots of practice.

Chinese proverb : 1 minute on stage (for show business), needs 10 years of practice behind the stage.


 




I drew this lady CEO of a MNC, as a practice in pencil.  

Drawing strangers can be fun because I can draw what I want the subject to do funny things. But it can be a challenge for group drawing as I need to think of a common theme for them, like in the picture below, done in ink & water-color, as a practice. After seeing their picture, the subject ladies commented why they all have different shapes, sizes, and wear different attire,...?  
I relayed my reply to them : this is called caricature, that's why !

Women Basket Ball Team 2011
Later months, I also print the picture & made it into a Christmas Card, just to try out my craft skill. The recipient likes it.

















No comments:

Post a Comment