Translate

14 May 2016

WAR Against Diabetes

 
     
 
In the old days, our family could not afford to buy soft-drinks except during the Chinese new year period when we bought some for visiting guests. They were mainly F&N or green-spot bottled drinks with a metal cap where young children keep them as toys and games. My mum call these bottled-drinks “Holland-water” in Cantonese. I had never asked her why.
 
Everyday before work, my dad would put 2 stacks of coins for my brother and myself. They were our daily pocket money for the day’s school recess. The amount was just enough to buy a bowl of noodle and nothing left for the attractive syrup-colored-water. We only drank plain water.
 
Now I could afford it, I still avoid drinking any sugary-soft-drinks. It’s a matter of personal choice and lifestyle. Our “big brother” could continue to build more and more hospitals to cater and treat this diabetes but the war against it should be a personal one. It’s a cause-and-effect analogy. The only weapon and fire-power to fight this war is nothing but our discipline and will-power.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment