Translate

28 March 2015

Goodbye Mr Lee Kuan Yew

I consider you as a hard-core, tough and no-nonsense politician.
That’s why I did not accumulate enough courage to draw you & publish your caricatures.
I'm afraid that if I did, someone would come knocking on my door & invite me for "coffee" inside a dimly-lighted private room without window.


I only started to draw your caricature in 2010 when I re-started my caricature drawing engine. 




Some people say, the older you get, the bolder & more in focus you become.
And I guess they are probably right.


I remember vividly the hardships and experience of our parents in the old days.
We had to stay indoors due to curfews during the 1964 racial riots. 


 We had to lower our canvas to cover our kitchen’s openings to shield the sound of fire-crackers cracking non-stop all night in the first early morning of Chinese New Year,  
I had the fun playing in the flood water outside our one-room flat at Indus road during the monsoon seasons.



 

And I had to jostle with adults and massive crowds to get a spot in front to watch black & white TV programmes at our community centre at Havelock road.
 
These things are no longer being experienced by our younger and millennian generations.
 
And they could never understand these hardships & appreciate our present.


Many say wise men think alike.

But you are so extraordinary different in your thinking & envision.
I salute you for your dedication, guts, determination and disciplines.
No doubt, there will be even more challenges ahead.
Just let your successors deal with it.  
You have had already done what you could. 
Goodbye Mr Lee Kuan Yew.
May your soul rest in peace.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment