Translate

26 February 2015

Gong Xi Fa Cai : What's that Uncle ?


Kids these days don't greet their elders with auspicious phrases when they visit them during the Chinese new year.

When three kids came to visit me, they just asked me "What's your WI-FI password ?" 

Next, they just turned on their electronic gadgets & smart devices & bury their heads in their virtual worlds.



Sigh ! 
Old Chinese new year traditions are disappearing and forgotten in the new generation.

After all the poking & swiping on the flat screens, the kids got bored.

Next, they played hide-and-seek.
I was amazed & amused that they could still find spaces to hide in my small house of 86 sq. metres. 

Then one started jumping vigorously on my bed !   
Wa-biang, I said in my head : this has to stop !

So I "psycho" them to participate in a drawing contest.
I told them the best drawing would win a toy to take home.
Suddenly, everyone scrambled for a seat around my study table.

I supplied them the drawing materials and color-pencils & everyone started doodling. 
I told them to draw whatever they like.
It's free expression, no theme.

For a moment, there was some peace in the room.



Brother & Sister hard at work



   









     
Cousins busy at their drawing


















I was surprised that everyone draw the human figure.....
Does this show their interest in caricature ?           
I don't really know. It's too early to tell.
But I asked each one who they were drawing. Here are the answers.












































After I announced the winner, they stopped work & started running around and screaming  again. Whoa !!!

One took my watercolour brush & filled it with water & spit water at my drawing.  Wu-la-la ! 

One turned my drawing eraser into sculptures.
First it was a lizard, they threw it at everyone & laughed a lot. I did not manage to take a picture of it.
Next was a beetle. 
I was amazed at the creativity & imagination of these kids. 
Beetle














 

No comments:

Post a Comment